Old U.S. Mint
While the exhibition on the Greek Revival building’s history as a coin mint is interesting, most visitors come for the jazz. The New Orleans Jazz Museum, featured on many guided tours of the French Quarter, tells the story of this musical genre through interactive exhibits and the largest and most comprehensive collection of jazz artifacts in the world. The museum’s third floor houses a performing arts venue with live jazz performances almost daily. Museum admission is included in several New Orleans multi-attraction passes.
Things to know before you go
- The Old U.S. Mint doubles as one of the city’s top live jazz venues, a must for music lovers.
- Buy your ticket ahead of time to skip the line at the ticket booth and enjoy more time inside the museum.
- The Old U.S. Mint is wheelchair accessible, but it’s a good idea to contact the museum ahead of time to make arrangements for a visit.
How to get there
The Old U.S. Mint is at the edge of the French Quarter and the Frenchmen Street live music corridor, within easy walking distance of many top New Orleans attractions. To get there by public transportation, take the streetcar to French Market Station. Entrances are along Esplanade Avenue and Barracks Street.
When to get there
The Old U.S. Mint is open from Tuesday to Sunday. Come during the day to visit the museum and mint exhibits, but be sure to check the calendar to see what evening performances are being held during your visit.
Top Jazz Sites in New Orleans
A jazz lover’s trip to the Big Easy wouldn’t be complete without an evening of live music at one of the city’s legendary jazz clubs, like The Spotted Cat or Preservation Hall. To learn more about the history of the genre, spend a day exploring New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park.
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Sapa
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Nashville
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Georgia