A few of the larger mammals visitors can expect to encounter include chimpanzees, lions, hippopotamus, African buffalo, Indian elephants, giraffes, spider monkeys, and zebras. There are also a number of migratory bird species of note, along with water birds, crocodiles, hyenas, macaques, and jaguars. An underground reptile house is located at the center of the zoo. The grounds can be explored either on foot or by using one of the zoo’s electric buggies.
Things to know before you go
- The park is a must-visit for families with children.
- The use of still and video cameras costs extra.
- It’s a good idea to wear sunscreen and a hat as much of the zoo is exposed to the elements.
- The zoo is wheelchair accessible and free loaner wheelchairs and strollers are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
How to get there
The National Zoological Park is located just off Mathura Road, a main thoroughfare that runs north to south on the eastern side of New Delhi. It's just north of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Humayan's Tomb. Pragati Maidan, Khan Market, and Jahwarlal Nehru metro stations are each around 20 minutes away on foot.
When to get there
The zoo is open every day of the week except for Friday, from morning until late afternoon. It’s best visited first thing in the day, particularly if you are coming during the hotter months of the year (April-June).
Free Range Zoo
This zoo is set up to house animals in a way that's as close as possible to their natural environment, and while some residents here are naturally kept in enclosures, others get free roaming privileges around the grounds. These include civets, mongooses, bats, and even porcupines, along with all sorts of avian species, from resident ducks to pelicans that come and go as they please.
- Things to do in Agra
- Things to do in Rishikesh
- Things to do in Jaipur
- Things to do in Pushkar
- Things to do in Lahore
- Things to do in Jodhpur
- Things to do in Udaipur
- Things to do in Srinagar
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh
- Things to do in Jaisalmer
- Things to do in Pokhara
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Jammu and Kashmir
- Delhi Old Fort (Purana Qila)
- New Delhi National Gallery of Modern Art
- National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (Crafts Museum)
- India Gate
- Khan Market
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya Dargah (Nizamuddin Dargah)
- Humayun's Tomb
- New Delhi National Museum
- Janpath Market
- Shankar's International Dolls Museum
- Gandhi Smriti
- Sai Baba Temple
- Lotus Temple (Bahá'í House of Worship)
- Lodhi Gardens