Paranthe Wali Gali
This is a place to surrender to the crowds (and there are often big crowds) as you indulge in a fried paratha smothered in ghee. You can choose from an array of fillings—from paneer to cauliflower, and even bananas, to name but a few. It's a popular spot on Old Delhi food tours, and best finished off with a tummy-soothing cup of lassi (a popular yogurt-based drink).
Things to know before you go
- Paranthe Wali Gali is a must-visit for food-loving travelers.
- The area can get crowded so come early to avoid the masses.
- The lane is wheelchair-accessible, but because of the crowds, it can be difficult to get through.
How to get there
Paranthe Wali Gali occupies a narrow lane just off the main thoroughfare in the busy Chandni Chowk market in Old Delhi, about a 10-minute walk from the Chandni Chowk metro station. It’s only accessible on foot or by cycle rickshaw, and you’re best off coming as part of an organized tour or by metro, as there’s not much parking for taxis in the area.
When to get there
Vendors at the Gali Paranthe Wali usually open up shop by around sunrise for breakfast and stay open until quite late at night. The best time to visit is early in the morning when crowds are fewest; come in the middle of a busy shopping day and you might find it too crowded to even move.
Chandni Chowk’s Street Food Scene
The area around Chandni Chowk is known for its street food offerings, and while Gali Paranthe Wali is by far the best-known spot in the neighborhood, there’s plenty more to sample. Popular items include jalebis (sweet sugar-based treats fried in ghee), aloo tikkis (India's answer to hash browns), and dahi bhalla, lentil fritters served in spiced yogurt.
- Things to do in Agra
- Things to do in Rishikesh
- Things to do in Jaipur
- Things to do in Pushkar
- Things to do in Lahore
- Things to do in Jodhpur
- Things to do in Udaipur
- Things to do in Srinagar
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh
- Things to do in Jaisalmer
- Things to do in Pokhara
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Jammu and Kashmir
- Chandni Chowk
- Khari Baoli
- Red Fort (Lal Qila)
- St. James’ Church (Skinner's Church)
- Jama Masjid (Masjid e Jahan Numa)
- National Gandhi Museum
- Khooni Darwaza (Lal Darwaza)
- Raj Ghat
- Feroz Shah Kotla Fort
- Connaught Place
- Shankar's International Dolls Museum
- Madame Tussauds Delhi
- New Delhi Parliament House (Sansad Bhavan)