National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (Crafts Museum)
Delhi’s National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum is an easy one-stop destination to learn about the variety of India’s traditional arts and crafts. Items from around the huge country are displayed, so you can learn about traditions from all over India even if you don’t have time to tour the whole country. Most travelers visit independently, or on a private, customized tour of lesser-known attractions in Delhi.
Things to know before you go
- There is an on-site library, for visitors interested in learning more about Indian crafts. It’s closed on the weekends.
- The on-site Cafe Lota provides snacks and refreshments.
- The Lota Shop sells souvenirs related to the items on display in the museum.
How to get there
The National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum is located in New Delhi, between India Gate and the Yamuna River, and just north of Purana Qila (Old Fort). Unless you are on a private tour, the best way of getting around Delhi is on the excellent Metro system, which is efficient, air-conditioned, and cheap, and saves you sitting in enormous traffic jams. The nearest station to the museum is Pragati Maidan. The museum is a short walk away, or if it’s very hot or raining, take an auto-rickshaw from the Metro station.
When to get there
The museum is open every day of the week except Monday. Some parts of the museum are outside, so you may want to avoid them if it’s very hot or raining, but there are also plenty of indoor areas to focus on at these times.
Shop at Indian Government Emporiums
Travelers who want to take home some authentic, good-quality, reasonably priced handicrafts and textiles should seek out the Indian Government-run emporiums. Different state governments run stores selling products from their state, and they’re worth browsing in even if you don’t intend to buy anything. In Delhi, many of these emporiums are located around the Connaught Place area.
- Things to do in Agra
- Things to do in Rishikesh
- Things to do in Jaipur
- Things to do in Pushkar
- Things to do in Lahore
- Things to do in Jodhpur
- Things to do in Udaipur
- Things to do in Srinagar
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh
- Things to do in Jaisalmer
- Things to do in Pokhara
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Jammu and Kashmir
- Delhi Old Fort (Purana Qila)
- National Zoological Park of Delhi
- New Delhi National Gallery of Modern Art
- India Gate
- Shankar's International Dolls Museum
- Khan Market
- New Delhi National Museum
- Janpath Market
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya Dargah (Nizamuddin Dargah)
- Feroz Shah Kotla Fort
- Khooni Darwaza (Lal Darwaza)
- Humayun's Tomb
- National Gandhi Museum
- Jantar Mantar