Christ Church Cathedral
Spend some time in the uplighting ambiance of this charming cathedral. At the back of the sanctuary, look for the baptismal font with a hallmark left of a tiny church mouse carved into the wood, left behind by its British carpenter. Don’t miss the fascinating wall plaques illustrating the trials and tribulations Nassau citizens have endured over the years. Outside, enjoy the 400-year-old grounds and the Garden of Remembrance, a quiet, contemplative place to escape the noise of the city.
The church is a popular stop on walking tours, even the more food-focused excursions, during which you sample conch fritters, peas ‘n rice, guava duff, and rum cocktails. City scavenger hunts are an entertaining way to discover Nassau’s best-loved spots, while absorbing the city’s art, culture and history. Or, rent a bus for the day and set your own itinerary.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Christ Church Cathedral is an ideal spot for history and art lovers.
- The church is free to enter.
- Dress modestly when entering houses of worship.
How to Get There
Christ Church Cathedral is located at the corner of George Street and King Street in the center of Nassau. Drive a car or a scooter, bike, take a taxi, or walk. If you arrive at the cruise ship port, walk a few minutes past the Pirate Museum to the church. A public bus, or jitney, operates throughout Nassau everyday.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open Monday through Friday, morning until early evening. Sunday services are typically held four times starting early and ending late. Nassau’s peak season is between December and May so expect perfect weather but also crowds. Hurricane season generally falls between June through November.
To investigate a different kind of religious fever, walk over to the Pirates of Nassau, a fun interactive museum dedicated to New World’s Golden Age of Piracy, which lasted from 1690 to 1720. Board a pirate frigate named Revenge and learn about the most notorious pirates to land on the shores of Nassau. Young kids will especially appreciate the visit.
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Florida
- Straw Market
- Heritage Museum of the Bahamas
- Pirates of Nassau
- Parliament Square
- National Art Gallery of the Bahamas (NAGB)
- Junkanoo Expo Museum
- Nassau Cruise Port
- Queen's Staircase
- Fort Fincastle
- Arawak Cay
- Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Centre
- Nassau Public Library & Museum
- Rose Island
- Marine Habitat at Atlantis
- Aquaventure at Atlantis Paradise Island