Shree Siddhivinayak Ganapati Temple
A popular stop on Mumbai temple tours, this celebrated temple houses an idol of Ganesh carved from a single stone, in addition to a number of other deities and religious artwork. Travelers and locals warn that long lines and major crowds are typical of this beautiful temple, but also say those in charge handle the large number of tourists and worshipers like pros.
Things to know before you go
- This temple is an absolute must-visit for those interested in Hindu worship.
- Remember to dress modestly and remove your shoes before entering the temple.
- Wheelchair users and people with an aversion to crowds might find getting around the temple a challenge.
How to get there
The temple is located at the corner of Kakasaheb Gadgil Marg and S.K. Bole Marg in Prabhadevi. It’s about a 20-minute walk from both the Parel and Dadar railway stations and a 5-minute walk from Prabhadevi Beach. It’s also easy to access by taxi or as part of a guided tour, but parking in the area can be tricky.
When to get there
The busiest days are Tuesdays and Weekends and the temple closes briefly a few times a day for observances. If you want to beat the crowds, come right when it opens or right before it closes. To save time, foreigners and non-resident Indians (NRIs) can book darshan (idol viewings) ahead of time on the temple website for a fee.
Although Mumbai is more known as a big city than a pilgrimage site, there are plenty of fantastic and revered temples in town, beyond Shree Siddhivinayak. Famous temples include the Mahalaxmi temple, one of the oldest in the city, dedicated to the goddess of wealth. Also famous is the Mumba Devi Temple, dedicated to the local goddess Mumba from which Mumbai allegedly gets its name as well as the sea-facing Babulnath Temple, dedicated to Shiva in the form of a babul tree.
- Bandra-Worli Sea Link (Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link)
- Mount Mary Church
- Bandstand Promenade
- Dhobi Ghat
- Haji Ali Dargah
- Mahalakshmi Temple
- Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya
- Bombay Panjrapole
- Babulnath Temple (Babulnath Mandir)
- Bhuleshwar Market (Bhuleshwar Bazaar)
- Mumbadevi Temple
- Chor Bazaar
- Chowpatty Beach
- Hanging Gardens (Ferozeshah Mehta)