Metropolitan Cathedral Tours and Tickets
Designed by French architect George Mounier and allegedly inspired by the grand cathedral in Cologne, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Forteza is the third largest cathedral in Brazil. Construction on the Gothic-Roman style structure began in 1939, but it wouldn’t be fully completed until late in 1978, nearly 40 years later.
Upon entering the Metropolitan Cathedral, built to seat 5,000 worshippers, visitors encounter the Chapel of St. Joseph, the Patron Saint of the Brazilian state of Ceará to the left of the nave. On the right is another small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption, the Patron Saint of Fortaleza. The cathedral’s central alter was brought over from Verona.
One interesting feature that sets the Metropolitan Cathedral apart from other such structures is its crypt. The Crypt of the Adolescents was inaugurated in 1962 with six alters devoted to saints who died in their teenage years, and the depiction of Jesus in the crypt alter shows him as an adolescent as well.
Don’t let the concrete masonry on the cathedral’s exterior turn you off. The stained glass windows on the inside are stunning and well worth the visit.
Tours and Activities to Experience Metropolitan Cathedral
- Fortaleza Central Market (Mercado Central de Fortaleza)
- Nossa Senhora de Assuncao Fort
- Museum of Ceara (Museu do Ceará)
- Ceará Tourism Center (Emcetur)
- José de Alencar Theater (Theatro José de Alencar)
- Meireles Beach (Praia do Meireles)
- Futuro Beach (Praia do Futuro)
- Fortaleza Beach Park
- Cumbuco Beach
- Morro Branco
- Trails Park (Parque das Trilhas)
- Lagoinha Beach (Praia de Lagoinha)
- Canoa Quebrada