Kaveri River (Kaveri Nadi)
Like most Indian rivers, the Kaveri has many legends surrounding its origins; some people consider it sacred. Multiple dams and tributaries spread out across South India, providing numerous communities with water for drinking and farming. The river is divided into two waterfalls: Gaganachukki and Bharachukki in the Kavery Wildlife Sanctuary, which you can visit on a day trip from Bangalore.
Things to Know Before You Go
A trip out to the river is excellent for those wanting to escape the busy city and get out into nature.
Wear mosquito spray and sunscreen.
Some part of the river may not be suitable for swimming, so be sure to check with your guide before attempting to do so.
How To Get There
The Kaveri is huge, and it’s best accessed by car from major cities such as Bangalore (Bengaluru), Mysore (Mysuru), and Coimbatore. The river flows along part of the border of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu and passes right through the holy town of Srirangapatna, just north of Mysuru. It’s best visited as part of an organized tour with a professional guide.
When To Get There
The best time to visit the river has a lot to do with what you want to do. If you plan to go by boat, check with a boat operator for up-to-date information about conditions. Avoid visiting during the rainy monsoon months when waters might not be as stable.
Kallani Dam, located on the Kaveri in Tamil Nadu, was originally built in the 2nd century CE by the Chola ruler Karikalan. It's the oldest continuously operating dam in India, though it was remodeled in the 19th century under British rule. In ancient times, it irrigated around 70,000 acres, but the revamp bumped up this number to around a million acres.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Mysore Palace (Mysuru Palace)
- Bull Temple (Nandi Temple)
- Sri Jnanakshi Rajarajeshwari Temple
- Innovative Film City
- Wonderla Amusement Park
- Art of Living International Center (Art of Living Ashram)
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Bannerghatta National Park
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath