KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
KR Market’s original red and white brick building still stands, but just behind it is the newer and much larger market complex, though the market spills out onto the sidewalks and neighboring streets and lanes. A walk through the market can be an intense experience, with lots of smells and sights, and going with a guide or joining a walking or photography tour is a good way to get your bearings.
Things to know before you go
- KR Market is a must-visit for photographers (just come early for the best shots).
- Wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen and carry plenty of water.
- Be prepared for big crowds, no matter the time of day.
How to get there
KR Market is located in the Chickpet neighborhood, just off NR Road and the south end of Avenue Road, next to the Mysore Road flyover and about a five-minute walk north of Bangalore Fort. The Chickpet Metro Station on the Green Line of Bangalore’s Namma Metro is a five-minute walk away.
When to get there
KR Market is open daily, but the best time to visit the market is in the early morning, when business is at its peak as shopkeepers come to stock up on goods for the day. At sunrise, the southern end of Avenue Road becomes the city’s biggest flower market, with huge piles of fresh-cut flowers of every variety and color covering the streets and sidewalks.
Bangalore for Photographers
Bangalore is a great city for photographers, and although you'll get some of your best flower and produce shots at KR Market, there are plenty of other photogenic spots to visit. Cubbon Park showcases a diverse variety of local trees and flowers. If you're fond of architecture, the neo-Dravidian Vidhana Soudha merits a visit, as does Tipu Sultan Fort and Palace, with its gorgeous teak interiors.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- Vidhana Soudha
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- Fun World & Water World
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Bangalore Palace
- Art of Living International Center (Art of Living Ashram)